BlogWhole30 Choice, Chance, Change.

March 14, 2016by Courtney Elise12

I don’t know that there are enough blogs I could write to explain what I have learned in the past 60 days. Two months of eating healthy may not seem like a big deal, in fact, I know to some people it seems petty, difficult, obsessive–a fad diet that will soon be forgotten and left behind.

Thankfully, I’ve been lifted up more than I’ve been torn down. I’ve had my inner demons surface several times throughout this journey but thanks to my new found self-confidence {& discipline} I was able to defeat the demons, negativity and that vengeful sugar dragon. We are human and it seems nearly impossible to eat the best of the best ALL time. In fact, that’s what I love the most about Whole30 –it is realistic.

I never imagined a life without cheese, French fries or pasta but now I can (and it’s my choice). I’ve worked hard and I’ve built this new regiment and expectation for myself. Not anyone else.

After 30 days I was not confident enough to methodically reintroduce foods without binging but now, after 60 days I can imagine successfully trying new things. It’s because I have changed my expectations not my standards.

As I was scrolling through Instagram earlier this morning I came across a post from the one & only Melissa Hartwig and it seemed extra fitting for my thoughts today:

How many times have you ever said “I’m going to start my diet on Monday.” or “I’d go to the gym today but my meeting lasted 30 minutes longer than expected so I don’t have time.”
I’m guilty for sure. Using time as an excuse puts the blame on the rest of the day and not on the fact that it’s not high on our list of priorities.

For example, I have terrible lower back pain almost all of the time so it was always the perfect excuse for me. “My back hurts so I can’t go to the gym today.” But the fact of the matter is… It wasn’t a priority. I had low expectations AND low standards for myself because it was the life that I had learned to accept. That is no ones fault by own.
So, thanks to the past 60 days I have gotten over the embarrassment of saying no thank you to dessert or to the glass of wine. I’ve managed to respect myself enough to avoid Olive Garden and their endless baskets of breadsticks and unfortunately it took saying no and setting boundaries for people who didn’t quite understand how important this was and IS to me. It took me becoming honest with myself and the people around me, especially my support system. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… “It’s high time that I practice what I preach on a daily basis and accept that I, just like my patients, am stronger than my excuses.” Life. Is. About. Choices. The food you put in your body is YOUR Choice, it’s MY choice, and at the end of the day its either healthy for you… or it’s not.
I tell my patients on a regular basis…life is all about the 3 C’s.
Choice, Chance & Change.
You must make the choice
to take the chance if you
want anything in your life to  change
It took me being sick for about 3 months straight, it took me constantly judging myself and wishing, begging that I could be smaller so I could “fit in”, it took me loathing myself staring at my wedding pictures to finally decide to change the expectations and standards that I had set for my life because I did not like who I was becoming let alone who I already was.

I am worth so much more than the negative, hurtful way that I used to talk to myself. My health and well-being is a priority. Putting myself first & forking out the extra money and time for meal prep is a priority because I am. I am making myself a priority because it is a necessary action, not a selfish one.

I get one chance at this life and the choices are left up to me on how I want to live it. So thank you Whole30 for teaching me the techniques I needed to know for meal planning and cooking as well as all the “scienc-y” stuff that made me understand my patients on a completely new level.

I am beyond thankful for 60 days of practice for this new found love for clean eating and for the new sense of self respect that I have.

It all starts with a choice and a willingness to change but most importantly… for me…

Courtney Elise

Courtney Elise

12 comments

• Pam

March 22, 2016 at 12:14 am

i'm nearing the end of my whole30 and i'm feeling a little anxious because I don't know that I want to reintroduce foods into my diet yet since I still crave carbs like toast, pizza, toast and pizza, repeat. haha!
    so did you do anything differently when you continued on to do another whole30?

• Courtney Elise. ♥

March 22, 2016 at 1:18 am

Hey Pam! I felt the same way as you feel towards the end of my whole30. I couldn't tell myself honestly that I would be able to have a slice of pizza or 1 piece of toast without binging. So, I said I would add two more weeks and make it a Whole45 and at day 45 I would reevaluate. But to answer your question, no I didn't change anything. I kept a strict Whole30 compliant diet and it really helped implement the lifestyle changes I needed!

• Meshe11y

March 22, 2016 at 9:47 am

Hi Pam. I agree longer is better. We did the Whole45. If you are not at the point of "not wanting" to reintroduce foods on the reintroduction schedule I believe you have not been on it long enough. We did the reintroduction then went back to eating clean. It's only now 4 months later we've become a bit slack but we are ready to clean up again. I've also bought "Against all grain" and "Well Fed 2" to help us along our new lifestyle.

• Meshe11y

March 22, 2016 at 9:51 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Amy Shugrue

March 22, 2016 at 11:53 am

I am well into Whole90 at this point. It became my priority when it wasn't anybody else's. My husband is not happy, but he's learning to fend for himself if he doesn't like what food I've prepared. I'm down 25 lbs., calm and collected and full of energy. I wouldn't trade how I feel now for anything. Thanks for the reminders!

• Karen Odell

March 22, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Hi Courtney, I just want to say thank you for being so honest and open with your struggle. About a month ago I ready your testimony about your food addiction and it really resinated with me. I am a food addict and secret binger and because of the things you said I am now on day 16. So thank you for sharing that it took you longer than the 30 days to reach a good place for you with your eating. At this point right now I do not trust myself to stop at 30days . All I can think about is putting sugar back into my coffee 🙂 And I still feel like I have so much more to learn and be set free from. Thank you again!

• Courtney Elise. ♥

March 22, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Congratulations, Amy! 90 days of food that makes you feel good is wonderful! You said it so perfectly…. It has to be your priority because no one else can implement those changes except for you! Keep up the good work!

• Courtney Elise. ♥

March 22, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Karen, being honest with yourself and learning your body and your triggers are crucial to a successful Whole30! even after 60 days I am very slowly reintroducing certain foods that I am more confident will benefit me, not hurt me. You can do this at whatever pace you want as long as you're listening to what your body is telling you! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or vent when you need to! Having a support system makes it so much easier 🙂 congrats!

• Bel

March 23, 2016 at 5:22 am

Hi Courtney what do you make for your breakfasts ahead of time? Thank you

• Courtney Elise. ♥

March 23, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Hey Bel! I bake a spinach or kale Fritatta which various different veggies! If you go to the home page on my blog and select the post "Week T W O: Check!" From January 27 I have my go to Fritatta recipe listed! I usually make a 9×13 dish and cut them into slices and portion them into separate Tupperware containers which makes it very easy to grab and go! Also prep servings of fruits for the mornings (strawberries, blueberries or oranges usually) in a zip lock and grab one of those as well. The only thing left to do is slice an avocado 🙂

• Anonymous

April 21, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you, you look so healthy and amazing, I'll be definitely checking back on your blog to see where you are at! I'm on day 2… but reading you has made me really hopeful.

• Courtney Elise. ♥

April 24, 2016 at 10:42 pm

I am so glad to hear that! Keep up the good work! It only gets better!